Anil Ambani’s RCom announced merger plans with Aircel

Anil Ambani’s Reliance Communications today announced a merger plan of its wireless telecom businesses with Aircel, This merger will create India’s third biggest telecom operator as far as the subscriber base in concern. RCom will own half the new entity other half will be owned by Malaysia’s Maxis Communications,which is parent organization of the Aircel.

The new company will hold the second largest spectrum portfolio among all operators in India across the 850, 900, 1800 and 2,100 MHz bands. It will have assets of Rs. 65,000 crore and will be ranked among India’s top corporates.

Reliance Communications Ltd. (RCOM) is an Indian Internet access and telecommunications company headquartered in Navi Mumbai, India. It provides GSM (Voice, 2G, 3G, 4G) mobile services, fixed line broadband and voice services, DTH depending upon the areas of operation. Reliance Communications is the fourth largest telecom operator in India with 109.90 million subscribers as of June 2015. Established in 2002, it is a subsidiary of Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group. Reliance Communication IT Support is provided by Reliance Tech Services and Telecom network is maintained and operated by Ericsson, transmission towers are maintained by its subsidiary Reliance Infratel. Reliance Infocomm laid the largest Optic Fiber Cable network in the country in 2003 to 2005, approximately 135,000 km, and touched almost all top broadband cities with the help of their Franchisee’s – Local Cable Operators (LCO’s). On an average 1900 large LCO’s were connected to the Reliance Infocomm network to provide Voice, Data and Video services known as Triple Play on IPTV platform.

Aircel is an Indian mobile network operator headquartered in Gurgaon, which offers voice and 2G, 3G and 4G data services. Maxis Communications holds a 74% stake and Sindya Securities and Investments holds the remaining 26%.[4] Aircel was founded by C Sivasankaran and commenced operations in Tamil Nadu in 1999. It is the sixth largest mobile service provider in India with a subscriber base of 83.05 million subscribers as of June 2015. Aircel is a market leader in Tamil Nadu and has considerable presence in Odisha, Assam and North-East circles.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *